Friday, 23 October 2009

Anti-UAF Protest

Photobucket


I'm glad that yesterday's airing of Question Time with Nick Griffin turned out to be a lot better than I thought it would be. I, like many of those that support freedom of speech supported the BBC's decision to allow Nick Griffin on the show, even though I despise the slimeball and his views. Of course, certain members of Parliament and the anti-facsists thought otherwise, especially Unite Aganist Fascism and their pathetic 'no platform' policy - they really need to look up "freedom of speech" before they go around trying to break into a television centre to stop a televised debate.

Despite supporting the BBC's decision to allow the BNP leader on the show, I expected this edition of Question Time to be a car-crash, and was concerned that even the audience would break out into a riot of some sort (what with the fact that the BBC confirmed that some members of the audience were BNP supporters), but luckly that wasn't the case. Instead of being the slick talker from previous appearances, Nick Griffin kept on stumbling over himself and was being shown up for the fascist that he is. Watching him squirm when the panel and David Dimbleby made mention of vile comments he has made in the past and him trying to deny that he ever made such comments was a pleasure. Not to mention the comments he made on the show, such as claiming the Ku Klux Klan are an "almost entriely non-violent" organisation. Did he really think he would get away with saying things like that on a television debate that was broadcast throughout the country?

A minor issue I have with last night's show was that Nick Griffin's views on homosexuality weren't directly addressed. Although the topic of civil partnership was mentioned in passing in the last ten minutes of the programme, when someone asked a question in regards to Jan Moir's homophobic article on Steven Gateley, I was suprised that none of the panel or even the audienced addressed his views. However, Griffin himself said on the show that he didn't like "militant homosexuals indoctrinating our children", so I guess that spoke volumes about the intelligence and views of this man towards the gay community. But still, I can't help but feel that he got off lightly with the homophobic comments he has made throughout his political career. Also, I really wish Ian Hislop was on the panel instead of Bonnie Greer, although I'm grateful that she was there to point out the absurdity of the term "indigenous Caucasian race" to Griffin.

Anyway, I'm gonna go and collect any spare pennies lying around my room to help chip in for a plane ticket to send Nick Griffin and his ilk to the South Pole. Anyone want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment